ENHANCING THE QUALITY OF LIFE FOR GARBAGE CLEANERS & RAG PICKERS IN MUMBAI
Raised Rs. 5,62,003
Goal Rs. 12,00,000
The garbage cleaners and rag pickers are of critical importance in keeping our city clean. However, this segment is the most overlooked when it comes to quality of life and often they don’t even have access to basic sanitation, hygiene and safety facilities.
Since the inception of Clean Up, we have taken numerous steps towards the welfare of garbage workers in Mumbai. The objective has always been to improve the quality of life for them. A few of our initiatives are listed below.
- Providing garbage workers with clean drinking water. Clean Up Foundation donated several water purifiers which were installed at multiple Chowkis across Bandra, Khar and Santacruz, ensuring clean drinking water availability for over 12,000 garbage cleaners in Mumbai.
- Providing garbage workers with safety gear for monsoons which included raincoats and gum boots, essential and critical gear for them to protect them from hazards in their line of work.
- Providing garbage workers with healthy meals.
- Financial assistance provided for the education of rag pickers’ children, ensuring a better future for the next generation.
- Improving hygiene levels via installation of sanitary pad vending machine at H West ward garbage collection centre.
- Organized a mental health awareness session for the rag pickers with tips on how to cope with the uncertain times during the pandemic.
- Providing medical and personal accident insurance policies to garbage workers, to assure them of emergency care.
- Covid prevention and vaccination awareness camp for garbage workers.
- Vaccination drives for garbage workers which benefitted around 200 members.
Our objective is to carry out many more such activities at multiple locations in Mumbai to help the true heroes of our city - the garbage cleaners and rag pickers. We seek your donations to help us in achieving this goal.